Very fast and easy to make.
Heat the 2-3 tbsp. water in a large, heavy saucepan. Sauté the leeks and garlic over medium heat for 1 minute, stirring
frequently. Stir in the water, stock powder, saffron, and salt, rubbing the saffron between your fingers to release its flavor as you add it. Bring
to a boil. Stir in the rice and carrots. Cover, reduce the heat, and simmer for 18 minutes.
- 2-3 tbsp. water
- 1 cup thinly sliced leeks or coarsely chopped onions
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 1 tbsp. instant vegetable broth powder
- 1/2 tsp. saffron threads (or 1/4 tsp. turmeric)
- 1/2 to 3/4 tsp. salt, or to taste
- 1 1/4 cups long grain white rice
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup frozen peas, defrosted, or 1 1/2 cups sliced defrosted artichoke hearts
- 1 cup frozen corn, defrosted
- 1 3/4 cups cooked red kidney beans or 1 15-ounce can, drained
- 1/2 cup diced roasted red pepper
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
Quickly sprinkle the peas, corn, kidney beans, and red pepper on top of the rice. Cover and remove from the heat. Let sit until the rice is tender and the
vegetables are thoroughly heated, about 2 minutes. Add pepper to taste and additional salt if needed. Stir well and serve.
Adapted from Lorna Sass' Short-Cut Vegetarian