Caribbean Black Beans
Serve over rice.
Sauté the onions and garlic in the oil for about 5 minutes, until the onions
begin to soften. Add the ginger, thyme, and allspice and sauté, stirring often
to prevent sticking, until the onions are very soft, for about 5 more minutes.
Stir in the beans and orange juice and cook on low heat for about 15 minutes,
stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens slightly. Mash a few of the
beans with the back of a spoon for a thicker consistency. Add salt and pepper to
taste, and serve.
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 3 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. grated fresh ginger root
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme (1/2 tsp. dried)
- 1/2 tsp. ground allspice
- 4 1/2 cups drained cooked black beans (3 16-ounce cans)
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
Per 8-oz serving: 252 calories, 13.1 G fat
From Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home